It’s fall! And that means the arrival of delicious combinations of flavors. Let’s start here…
Makes 24 cupcakes
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Icing
For the Pumpkin Cupcakes, you will need:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt (Kosher salt)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
For the Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting you will need:
2 (8 oz each) packages cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
2 lbs. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cupcakes…
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Line cupcake pans with paper liners
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, white sugar, butter, and eggs
5. Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth
6. Whisk in pumpkin puree
7. Eat some of the batter. There will be enough, don’t worry. I had extra!
8. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling about 3/4 full….or more…
9. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. It was 20 minutes for me.
10. Let sit on counter for 5 minutes
11. Remove from cupcake pans and let cool completely
For the icing…
1. Using a mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese together until well combined
2. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until fully incorporated…I did about 1/4 cup at a time
3. Mix in the vanilla and cinnamon.
Now it’s time to frost the cupcakes! I used Wilton tip #2D Drop Flower, which I purchased last year from Amazon…Amazon is my weakness…
Or, you can frost them with a simple spatula!
Either way, they will be delicious.