I found this recipe online and made it last week for dinner…it is definitely a keeper! It is great as leftovers, too. I had it for lunch and dinner throughout the week!
Serves 4 to 6
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 pound of pasta, any shape (I used 4 cups of elbow macaroni)
1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, or colby)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
What you do…
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
2. Drain pasta.
3. When the pasta has finished cooking, prepare the cheese sauce…
4. Begin warming 1 cup of the milk in the saucepan over medium heat.
5. Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup milk and the flour until there are no lumps.
6. When you just start to see tendrils of steam rising from the warming milk, whisk in the milk-and-flour mixture
7. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens slightly to the consistency of heavy cream (3-4 minutes)
8. Turn the heat to low and begin mixing handfuls of cheese into the milk
9. Stir in the salt, pepper, and mustard
10. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy
11. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired (I am bad at “adjusting to taste” so I just left it how it was and loved it!)
12. Remove the sauce from heat
13. In a large serving bowl, combine the pasta and the cheese sauce
14. Stir to coat the pasta evenly